Current:Home > NewsBuca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations -Capitatum
Buca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:54:27
On the heels of closing scores of locations in recent weeks, Buca Di Beppo has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, court documents filed Monday show.
The company blamed its financial woes on things including rising costs and hiring difficulty, according to information from the restaurant and court papers filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
In its 21-page petition obtained by USA TODAY, the Orlando-based casual restaurant chain named 30 creditors it owes close to $50 million.
The chain of Italian-American restaurants has been slowly shuttering its doors since COVID hit in 2020 and last month closed nearly 20% of its locations, according to Restaurant Business Magazine.
On July 30, the magazine reported Buca's parent company Earl Enterprises said several of its locations "had been unable to recover from the pandemic and other market pressures."
Learn more: Best debt consolidation loans
In a statement released by the eatery Monday, leaders wrote Buca is restructuring 44 core locations and is in the process of opening one new location.
"The company is committed to ensuring that the restaurants operate as usual, and all gift cards, reservations, and promotional services currently remain active and redeemable," the statement reads.
"While the restaurant industry has faced significant challenges, this move is the best next step for our brand," said the company's President Rich Saultz. "By restructuring with the continued support of our lenders, we are paving the way toward a reinvigorated future. Buca di Beppo has been a beloved gathering place for celebrations and memorable meals for many years, and we are enthusiastic about entering this next phase of our brand's story."
What Buca di Beppo stores closed most recently?
Known for their family-style serving portions of Italian food, the company most recently shuttered other locations in Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, Utah and Michigan.
Founded in 1993 in a Minneapolis apartment basement, Planet Hollywood International purchased the casual chain in 2008.
How many Buca di Beppos remain open?
According to the company, 44 locations in 14 states will remain open.
The Buca di Beppo website appears to list active restaurants on it's location finder.
"We believe this path will best allow us to continue to serve Buca's patrons and communities for many years to come," William Snyder, Chief Restructuring Officer of Buca C, LLC, released in a statement Monday after signing the bankruptcy petition.
"We are open for business in 44 locations, and we expect day-to-day operations to continue uninterrupted.," Snyder said. "We anticipate moving through this process as quickly and efficiently as possible to emerge as a stronger organization built for the future."
The petition named the company's attorney, Amber Carson who could not immediately be reached.
USA TODAY has reached out to Buca for more information.
Contributing: Maria Frances and Bahar Anooshahr
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (9494)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- 16 family members hit by same car, 2 dead, Michigan hit-and-run driver arrested
- Hiker dies after falling from trail in Oregon’s Columbia River Gorge, officials say
- Mexican and Guatemalan presidents meet at border to discuss migration, security and development
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Hims & Hers says it's selling a GLP-1 weight loss drug for 85% less than Wegovy. Here's the price.
- Top Democrat calls for Biden to replace FDIC chairman to fix agency’s ‘toxic culture’
- What’s next for Iran’s government after death of its president in helicopter crash?
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Ben Affleck Detailed His and Jennifer Lopez's Different Approaches to Privacy Before Breakup Rumors
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Patricia Heaton Defends Harrison Butker Amid Controversial Speech Backlash
- Kylie Kelce Pokes Fun at Herself and Husband Jason Kelce in Moving Commencement Speech
- Climber found dead on Denali, North America’s tallest peak
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Kennesaw State University student fatally shot in front of residence hall; suspect charged
- Testimony at Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial focuses on his wife’s New Jersey home
- Selling Sunset's Chrishell Stause Teases Major Update on Baby Plans With G Flip
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
California county’s farm bureau sues over state monitoring of groundwater
3 killed, 3 others wounded following 'chaotic' shooting in Ohio; suspect at large
Xander Schauffele gets validation and records with one memorable putt at PGA Championship
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Google is making smart phone upgrades. Is Apple next?
Over $450K recovered for workers of California mushroom farms that were sites of fatal shootings
I just graduated college. Instead of feeling pride and clarity, I'm fighting hopelessness.